The world of cycling is a fascinating and complex world with a rich history. Whether you are a amateur cyclist or simply interested in the sport, there is always something to discover and learn about the history and background of cycling. A great way to increase your knowledge of the world of cycling is by reading the best books on cycling.
But where do you start looking? There are thousands of books written about cycling, ranging from autobiographies of famous cyclists to historical analyses of the sport (based on scientific research and/or experience) and travel reports of famous cycling races. Therefore, it can be a challenge to find the right book that matches your interest and level.
How and where to find books about cycling
A good place to start is online bookstores. Major retailers like Amazon offer a wide range of cycling books, making it easy to search for authors, titles, and subjects. Smaller specialized bookstores, such as De Muur and Cyclostyle, also offer an extensive range of cycling books. Moreover, these bookstores can often recommend books based on your interest and level.
Another source of cycling books are libraries. Many libraries have a selection of books about cycling in their collection, and as a library member, you can borrow these books for free. Additionally, you can often search for books on specific topics on the library’s website and then reserve them.
Finally, there is the option to buy second-hand books. On websites like Thriftbooks, BookFinder.com and wob.com, you can often find cycling books at a lower price than the original retail price. The downside is that you do not always have the guarantee that the book is in good condition, but if you are willing to take that risk, it is certainly an option to consider.
Beter Worden Podcast book tips
Here are some book recommendations from Jim van den Berg (perfomance scientist and trainer of multiple World Tour riders) and former pro cyclist Laurens ten Dam, as discussed in episode 66 of the Beter Worden Podcast (Dutch only), where they talked about their favorite books on cycling:
Book tips Jim van den Berg:
- How Bad Do You Want It?: Mastering the Psychology of Mind Over Muscle, Matt Fitzgerald.
- Draft Animals, Phil Gaimon.
- Cycling science, Stephen S. Cheung & Mikel Zabala.
- Het maakbare uur. Een zoektocht naar de ultieme wielerprestatie, Jurgen van Teeffelen. (Dutch only)
- Power Meter Handbook : A User’s Guide for Cyclists and Triathletes, Joe Friel.
- Faster The Obsession, Science and Luck Behind the World’s Fastest Cyclists, Michael Hutchinson.
- The Sports Gene. Talent, Practice and the Truth About Success, David Epstein.
Book tips Laurens ten Dam:
- Once a runner, John L. Parker
- Hunger, Sean Kelly
- Racing through the dark, David Millar
- Santander- Santandar, Peter Winnen
- Greg Lemonds complete book of cycling, Greg Lemond
- The Complete Cycle Sport Guide, Peter Konokpa
With these book tips you can immerse yourself in the fascinating world of cycling. Enjoy reading!